- Now a days Sunflower seeds have gained tremendous popularity for their various health benefits.
- It has a calming and enhanced memory function because of the present of high content of tryptophan, choline, and magnesium.
- It is helpful in the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- It is highly nutritious, relatively cheap, and can be easily obtained from the supermarkets or health food stores.
- It is very good for intestine, heart, skin, and also helpful in the management of diabetes.
Nutrition importance of Sunflower seeds
- Sunflower seeds, and its sprouts are rich source of antioxidants, fiber, trace elements, and several vitamins.
- Sunflower seeds, and sprout contain high concentrations of niacin and vitamins A, B, and C.
- It is rich in minerals such as Calcium, Iron, magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, and zinc.
- It sprouts contains higher quantities of magnesium and zinc compared to its seed.
- It also contains cholesterol-lowering phytosterols.
- It seeds and sprout possess numerous features such as antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, anti-hypertensive, wound-healing, and cardiovascular properties.
- As for production of oil is concern it has 4th place worldwide.
Some of the possible health benefits of sunflower seeds
Although sunflower seeds has not got much attention in the past even though it has numerous health benefit.
Here are some of the possible current health benefits of Sunflower seeds.
- Stress management and memory function– It calm down, alleviate stress, and help in managing migraines due to presence of magnesium. Apart from Magnesium, it contains tryptophan and choline, which fight off anxiety and depression. It also improves brain function and memory. Presence of tryptophan increases the level of brain serotonin which reduces tension and creates a relaxed and calm feeling. Presence of choline plays a vital role in memory and vision functions.
- Cardiovascular disease management- Because of rich content of healthy fats, both mono and polyunsaturated, it contributes to cardiovascular health. It is helpful in maintenance of cardiovascular health by regulating the levels of total cholesterol, increasing the good cholesterol, and reducing the bad one, besides reducing the triglycerides levels. Presence of high amounts of betaine, it protect against heart disease and the lignans found in it keep blood cholesterol at appropriate levels and helpful in the prevention of heart attacks and atherosclerosis.
- Management of arthritis and osteoporosis- Sunflower seed oil reduces the symptoms of arthritis, and helpful in prevention and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Besides that, the proteins found in the sunflower seeds also aid in many enzymatic functions of our body, such as bone development, which prevent osteoporosis.
- Healthy gut- Fiber found in the sunflower seed are helpful in the prevention of constipation by reducing the time of intestinal transit and increasing fecal volume.
- Good for skin- Presence of copper and vitamin E in sunflower seeds protect the skin against harmful ultraviolet rays and make your skin younger and brighter
How to include sunflower seeds in diet
- Eating of unshelled seeds are more practical since most people cannot eat the shell.
- It can be consumed by mixing it with another nuts.
- It can be used as a snack, salad garnish, and in some bakery goods.
- It can be grinded and missed with flour to make bread.
- Seasoned sunflower seeds are a great addition to soups, salads, risottos, or even as a snack.
Sunflower seeds and it spout have numerous health benefit and can be consumed in several way such as a snack, salad garnish, and in some bakery goods.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides general information only. It is in no way a substitute for trained medical practitioner opinion. Always consult a specialist or your doctor for more information. We do not claim any obligation for this information.