- Hemp seeds are considered a superfood because of it rich nutritive value.
- It contains all the 9 essential amino acids needed by human.
- Hemp seeds exert numerous positive health benefits, such as alleviating constipation, beneficial against cardiovascular diseases, immunomodulation, and gastrointestinal diseases. It also has antimutagenic, antioxidant, and anti-ageing properties.
- As for nutrition is concerns, hemp seeds are rich source of vegetable protein, dietary fiber, and can be incorporated in several food preparations such as snack bars, bread, cookies, yogurt, etc.
What is hemp
Hemp seeds is not the Marijuana, rather it belongs to the same family. Basically marijuana have high contents of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a kind of chemical which posses psychoactive properties.
Both Hemp and Marijuana belong to Canabis genus but, “Hemp” are those varieties of Cannabis which contains less than 0.3% of THC content (by dry weight), where as “Marijuana” are those varieties which contain more than 0.3% THC (by dry weight) and can prompt psychotropic or euphoric effects to the consumer.
Hemp seeds do not contain cannabinoids and is a edible plant seeds which may contains trace amount of THC. Cannabinoids are found in there flowers, leaves, and stalks in higher concentrations. So consuming hemp seeds are safe.
Nutrition value of hemp seeds
Now a days hemp seeds has achieved significant attention in the filed of the nutrition, specially for essential amino acids and fatty acids.
Hemp seed contains approximately;
- 25-30% Oil
- 25-30% Protein
- 30-40% Fiber
Hemp seeds are rich source of plant oil, which contains almost 80% PUFAs in it.
It contains both water‐soluble and water‐insoluble fiber in a ratio of 20:80 and majority of these fiber found in it hull.
Other than amino acids and fatty acids, it is rich source for lignanamides such as cannabisin A, B, C, etc., caffeoyltyramine-like compounds, and other polyphenols.
Health benefits of hemp seeds
- Hemp seeds exhibit strong antioxidant properties.
- Protein source: It contains all the 9 essential amino acids required by humans. Out of that arginine plays a vital role in the body’s production of nitric oxide which reduces risk for heart disease.
- Healthy fats- It is a rich source of concentrated omega-3 fatty acids. Important fatty acid found in it can help in repair and moisturization of dry and damaged skin.
- Dietary fibers- Dietary fiber found in it add bulk to the stools and help in keeping digestion intact. These fibers also aids in the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- It regular consumption protects against metabolic syndrome, and neurodegenerative diseases.
- In mouse model it improves the memory function, insulin sensitivities, gut health, and reduces oxidative stress.
How to consume hemp seeds
- It can be incorporated in several food preparations such as snack bars, bread, cookies, yogurt, etc.
- These seeds can also be included in the smoothies as well as topping on a salad.
Some commonly asked questions and there answers
Why is hemp good for you?
Hemp seed is good for you because, is rich source for omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids. Apart from this it contains all the 9 essential amino acids needed by human.
Do hemp seeds contain CBD?
Hemp seeds do not contain cannabinoids (CBD) and is a edible plant seeds which may contains trace amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Cannabinoids are found in there flowers, leaves, and stalks in higher concentrations. So consuming hemp seeds are safe.
Does Hemp seed make you sleepy?
Hemp is not the Marijuana, rather it belongs to the same family. It is the marijuana which contains high contents of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which make sleepy. Hemp seeds does not make you sleepy because it do not contains THC.
Is hemp a Superfood?
Since hemp seeds contains high amount of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids as well as all the 9 essential amino acids needed by human. That is why many people consider hemp seeds a a superfoods.
How much hemp seed should you eat daily?
Consumption of around 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds is good enough per day. It is enough to provide 25 percent of your daily iron requirements as well as provide 2gm of fiber, 5gm protein, 300mg of potassium, 15 percent of your vitamin-A requirement.
Are hemp seeds legal?
Only the eating of the hemp seeds for human consumption is permitted. Extracts obtain from the rest of the plant are considered a drug and only permitted by the physician if required.
Is hemp a drug?
Hemp seeds is not drug but the extract obtained from it other part are drug.
Hemp seeds, being a Superfood, and rich source of vegetable protein, dietary fiber, will be beneficial as for several health issue is concerns. It is safe to eat when consumed in moderation. For consuming it, they can be incorporated in several food preparations such as snack bars, bread, cookies, yogurt, etc.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides general information only. It is in no way a substitute for trained medical practitioner opinion. Always consult a specialist or your doctor for more information. We do not claim any obligation for this information.