In Ayurveda, there are several ways by which you can do eye care and keep a healthy eyesight.
Shalakya Tantra of Ayurveda has significant description about intensive eye care.
To safeguard eyes require proper caring and preventative measure.
Ayurveda and eye care
Eyes are the windows to the soul and most people do not pay much attention for it.
Similar to other body part, eye is also governed by the five elements. The muscles of eye is governed by the earth element, the blood vessels by fire element, eye color by air element, the eye white by water element, and the tear ducts and channels by space.
Eyes are the pitta organ and is the seat for the Pitta sub-dosha Alochaka pitta. Thus it prerequisites proper care, cooling and lubrication regularly.
When Alochaka pitta imbalanced there is either an increase of the fire element or a decrease in the fire element.
An increase level of the fire in Alochaka pitta may be due to the overuse of the eyes on the screen, or direct exposure of sunlight to the eyes, or irritation from environmental stressors.
This pitta can also be provoked due to diet (such as use of spices, fermented and fried foods, and caffeine), lifestyle (such as stress, inappropriate sleep), irregular routines or a combinations of all of these factors.
The symptoms of increased fire in Alochaka pitta may leads to eye strain, irritation, inflammation and dryness.
Ayurvedic eye care help in the cooling, soothing, calming, nourishing and relaxing the eye and removes the excess heat and intensity faced by the eye.
A number of the factor such as prolonged constipation, nervous debility, prolonged common cold, stress, diabetes, excessive smoking, alcohol intake and caffeinated drinks may be responsible for defective eyesight.
Ayurvedic herbs for eye care
- Triphala- It is an equal proportion mixture of the three fruits – Amla (Emblica Officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula). It is rich in the Vitamin C and several antioxidants which protects eye from oxidative damages. Use of the Triphala eye drops can reduces eye problems such as inflammation, redness, and strain. One can also do Triphala eye wash also.
- Amalaki Rasayana- It is Amla Churna (Amalaki Powder) is mixed in Amla Juice. It is a classical ayurvedic medicine which holds rejuvenation, aphrodisiac, immunomodulatory and antioxidant activities. It is recommended for almost sort of eye diseases.
- Mixture of Fennel seeds, Almond, Black pepper and rock sugar- Make a powder of the fennel seeds, almonds, and rock sugar in equal proportion. After that add small quantity of the black pepper and store all the contents in the air tight jar. Take it with milk daily on evening after meal or with empty stomach at morning. This mixture hold tremendous potential to improve the eye sight.
- Medicated ghee: Maha-Triphala Ghrita is one of the highly recommended medicated ghee for eye care. It can be used internally and externally for your eyes. It improves the eye vision and reduce infections, even protecting you from cataract.
- Ayurvedic Eye drops- Some of the ayurvedic eye drops useful in eye care are Drishti eye drops and Saumya eye drops which are available at Patanjali stores.
- Shatavari Churna- Use of the Shatavari Churna twice a day help in balancing pitta dosha as well as nourishes and calm excess Alochaka pitta.
Yogic exercises for eye care
Regular eye exercises alleviate pressure on the eyes.
- Blinking- Look in all the five directions such as up, down, left, right, and straight then blink the eye and close for few minutes. Repeats same at least three time.
- Eye rotation: Sideways viewing, Up and down viewing
- Palming the eye- Once all the above eye exercises are over, bring your gaze to a neutral position, close the eyes and do the palming exercise. For this rub the both palms vigorously till they become warm. Place them gently over your eyes and relax. While doing palming focus the attention on the eye and feel relaxation in eye mentally. Repeats same at least three time.
Netra Basti is an ancient ayurvedic eye care treatment approach. In this a dough dam is built around each eye and fill with medicated ghee.
During the process the eyes remain open and oil penetrates the eye and heals a myriad of illnesses.
Netra Basti fortify the vision, slow retinal deterioration and also heal the glaucoma.
It should always done in presence of a qualified ayurvedic practitioner or doctor.
Home remedies for eye care
- Eye bath- Splashing of the mild cold water on eye by keeping mouth filled with the water is known as eye bath. Taking of the eye bath improves the eye sight. One should take eye bath least twice a day i.e morning and evening for proper eye care.
- Trataka meditation- It strengthen and soothe the eyes. For this keep ghee lamp 2-3 feet away and gaze on it for few minutes without blinking of the eye.
- Soothe eye with cucumber slices- Placing of the cucumber sliced on the eye reduces the inflammation, puffiness, swelling, and irritation of the eye.
- Triphala eye wash- For this first make the Triphala tea by boiling 1 tsp of Triphala powder in 200 ml water. Filet the liquid and make it cool. Soak this liquid on the cotton pads and keep it on both the eye for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rose water- Soak the cotton balls in rose water and place it on the eyes for 3-5 minutes. This can relieve the sore eyes from the burning sensation.
- Drink herbal tea- Regular use of the herbal tea help in the reducing the stress level which indirectly helpful in the eye care.
Take home message
Eyes are the precious organ and it care should be done with special attention. Ayurvedic tips and the exercises described here will be helpful in maintaining proper eyesight.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides a general information only. It is in no way a substitute for trained medical practitioner opinion. Always consult a specialist or your doctor for more information. We do not claim any obligation for this information.