- Chia seed is a kind of amazing seed packed with dietary fiber and antioxidants
- Chia is the superb source of Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Chia seed is helpful in weight management
- Chia seeds are a rich source of numerous exogenous amino acids.
Nutritional composition of Chia seed
The nutritional value of chia is greater to cereals due to high fiber and other nutritional value. For calcium, magnesium, and potassium it is much better than milk.
Nutritional composition analysis has shown following percentage of different nutritional components;
- Protein: 15 to 25
- Fat: 30–33 (Chia seeds have greater contents of omega-3 acids than flaxseed)
- Carbohydrate: 40-45
- Dietary fiber: 18–30
- Other micronutrients: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Manganese, Vitamin C, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, folic acid
- Phenolic contents: 8-10 (these phenolics include Caffeic acid, Chlorogenic acid, Quercetin, Rosmarinic acid, Gallic, Cinnamic, Myricetin, Kaempferol).
How to eat chia seeds
- Chia seeds can be used as whole, ground and in the form of gel and oil.
- Chia seeds can be used either raw or soaked. It can absorb up 15 times the water of its weight.
- Since Chia seeds do not have their own taste so can be added to any dish.
- Several normal products or fortified products can be made from Chia seed. These include breakfast cereals, bread, cookies, cakes, fruit juices, ice cream, yogurts, sauces, and jams.
- Chia is safe food and widely used as baked goods, nutritional supplements, cereal bars, cookies, bread, snacks, etc.
- Chia seed flour can be used to in making pasta as a substitute for wheat flour with a greater nutritional value.
- Chia seeds gel may be used as a substitute of oil or eggs in baked products. These application enables reduced calorie and fat contents of products.
- Baked foods made from Chia seed has a greater content of omega-3 acids with great significance for human health.
Chia seeds applications
Mucilage found in Chia seeds could be employed in the food industry as a fizz stabilizer, emulsifier, adhesive, or binder because of its high water holding capacity, and viscosity.
Health benefit of Chia seed
Chia seeds provide an array of pharmacological properties, such as hypotensive, hypoglycemic, antimicrobial, and immunostimulatory effects.
Because of high antioxidant phytochemicals and high dietary fiber contents, it reduces the risk of chronic diseases such as metabolic syndrome and cancer.
Because of the rich content of Omega-3 fatty acids, it protects from inflammation, and lower the level of cholesterol.
Due to the rich content of fiber, it slows down the digestion process and release of glucose and thus help in help in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is recommended by a dietitian for type 2 diabetes and people with hypercholesterolemia.
Its high content of fiber improves the peristaltic movement of the intestine and reducing plasma cholesterol by inhibiting their absorption in the intestine.