- Pomegranate is a lovely fruit full of a lot of nutritional components which offers a lot of health benefits.
- Pomegranate seeds vibrant red color is because of polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants.
- In Hindi it is known as Anaar daana.
- Pomegranate seeds and arils are the edible parts and can be consumed either raw or after making juice.
- Pomegranates have several health benefits including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, hyperglycemia, oxidative stress, and inflammatory activities.
Nutritional value of pomegranate seeds
The edible part of the pomegranate fruit (50%) consists of arils (40%) and seeds (10%), and the rest 50% is the non-edible part peel.
Pomegranate juice have significant amount of fructose, sucrose, and glucose along with rich amount of vitamin C.
It dried seed contains around 18% oil, out of which 65% are punicic acid.
100 grams of seeds contains 83 calories.
Medium-size pomegranate fruit (around 175-200g) contains;
- Fiber- 7 grams
- Protein- 3 grams
- Sugar- 21 grams
- Carbohydrates- 29 grams
- Fats- 2grams
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
How to include pomegranate in diet
Pomegranate seeds can be included in the regular diet in several ways such as,
- Its seeds can be consumed directly.
- Seeds can be added to salads, yogurt, oatmeal, and desserts.
- Can be consumed as juice
Health benefit of pomegranate seeds
Helpful in arthritis
- Studies have shown that the severity of arthritis and joint inflammation is significantly reduced with the consumption of pomegranate seeds.
- Flavanols found in the pomegranate juice may help in the prevention of inflammation which is responsible for osteoarthritis and cartilage damage.
- It is also helpful in the prevention of osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other types of arthritis and joint inflammation and the associated pain.
Good for heart health
- Pomegranate juice is good for healthy health and it protects the heart and arteries and also helpful in the regulation of the blood pressure.
- Pomegranate juice is a rich source of polyphenols that are very good for a healthy heart.
Alzheimer’s disease protection
- Antioxidants found in pomegranate juice are quite high concentration and can stall the progress of Alzheimer disease and protect memory.
Benefit for digestive system
- Pomegranates contain a large numbers of different bioactive compounds and a rich source of fiber which is beneficial for probiotic bacteria in the body.
- It also reduce inflammation and helpful and beneficial for people with Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis disease.
Diabetes and pomegranate
- It is being used traditionally as a home remedy for diabetes.
- In diabetics, it possibly decreases insulin resistance and lower blood sugar.
- A unique fatty acid, Punicic acid, found in pomegranate seeds can inhibit the proliferation of breast and prostate cancer cells.
Rich source of vitamins
- Pomegranate juice rich source of Vitamin C and vitamin E, vitamin K, and folate.